Mar 28, 2022
Is love only skin deep?
David and Jordan give their first thoughts on the Shonen Jump manga Love Rush. Listen in as they give an overview of the first chapter, where they think it will go from there, and ultimately their “power word” to describe the series so far. They also dive into some listener questions.
• You can reach us at Twitter @shonenflopcast or email us
• Help keep the show running by joining the Shonen Flop Patreon at patreon.com/shonenflop. Get perks like early access to content, bonus episodes, and polls for what we cover next
• Get Shonen Flop merch, including this episode’s cover art, on a shirt, mug, print, or whatever else might catch your eye https://www.teepublic.com/stores/shonen-flop?ref_id=22733
• Become a member of our community by joining our Discord. You can hang out with us, play games, and even join our comic book discussion club! Find it at https://discord.com/invite/4hC3SqRw8r
• Shonen Flop is hosted by David Weinberger and Jordan Forbes
• Additional editing assistance by Dylan Crider you can find his podcast, Anime Out of Context at animeoutofcontext.com
• Episode art by Merliel (IG: mer_liel)
• Cover art funded by our generous art benefactor Nigel Francis
• Our community producer is Luke
• Episode transcriptions by The Ghostwriters: Travis “T” Root, OzyRat, and TrafalagarWolfwood
Reiji Hakuba suffers from a genetic condition most men would yearn for: the Ubermale gene, which makes him appear irresistibly handsome to any girl who sees him. On the eve of his 18th birthday, Reiji learns that this gene also affects supernatural beings when cupid princess Kokoro Roko Rokoko appears to profess her love for him. Despite all the admiration, Reiji adamantly refuses all confessions as he has his own crush: childhood friend Shizuku Ichinomiya, the only girl he knows who doesn't fawn over him.
However, the outcome of his recent confession to her is still up in the air as Shizuku is unsure of how she feels about him. As a result, Reiji is still fair game, and Kokoro isn't the only supernatural being after him; a whole mob of otherworldly ladies begin to enter Reiji's life intent on claiming him as their groom. Respecting Reiji's resolve to win over Shizuku, Kokoro decides to protect Reiji from the other admirers, all while attempting to win his heart and make him fall for her instead.